Most people think that becoming a new mum is easy but for many new mums this reality may not be the gift she expected.
Postpartum is a time when a new mum could really do with some practical, yet uplifting new mum gifts, ones that truly support her physically and emotionally because whether “outsiders” are aware or not, (and by “outsiders” we mean partners, family and friends) SHE is more than likely going through a significant amount of inner turmoil, both physical and emotional, whether she’s dealing with her first baby or her most recent addition.
No two pregnancies are the same and similarly, no two postnatal situations are either. Immediate postpartum, or confinement, as it is known in some cultures, is often a disconcerting time for a new mum because she feels pressure (real or otherwise) having to become a perfect juggler; someone who can cope, function and deliver day and night to the whims of her newborn! A postpartum gift under these circumstances is truly a welcome self-care gift! Whether she is feeling joyous, depressed or somewhere in between a thoughtful gift shows you care. She may have mixed emotions about being a mother and responsible for her tiny little gift, feel tired, be in pain or even inconvenienced, so, anything that presents itself as a meaningful and uplifting experience in the form of postpartum gift is not a nicety, it’s a necessity. It is something that she would genuinely treasure. It is unusual for a single item to deliver to all of a mothers needs so a postpartum gift box is essential.
As a new mum, she’s learning a whole new language of movements, sounds, facial expressions and more that she has to work out and respond. Far from just having to decide which lovely outfit to put on her new baby, every new mum has to learn about her new baby:
- their habits, preferences
- likes and dislikes
- sounds and cries
- when and how they like to be stimulated
- when they are tired
- when they need a real mama hug
- when they want to play and kisses.
It’s a lot to deal with as a mama with a support network and even more so if she is a single mother. A new mum has to cope being a provider, often the sole nutritional provider for the child, especially if she decides to breast feed her baby from day one. While partners can change nappies and help with breastfeeding, and there are differing degrees of involvement.
The decision to breastfeed in itself might seem easy but the truth is a new mum has so many decisions to make about how to breast feed, such as should she or can she even breast feed? There’s the assumption that everyone can breastfeed, the truth is that this is not the case. She may be facing issues regarding latching or insufficiency in the provision of breastmilk, painful and sore nipples; in truth, there are all kinds of difficulties for a new mum, all of which may act to add pressure onto her.
Prior to giving birth, your mama may even have decided to go back to work quickly, express her milk and bottle feed her baby with her natural milk; she may have decided not to breastfeed at all and is then ill-prepared to deal with issues such as painful breast engorgement, sporadic milk leakage and so on. Becoming a new mum is a gift in itself but it has so many consequences to which she must adapt.
Breastfeeding decisions are not simple, especially once baba has arrived, in fact all of the decisions a new mum makes prior to giving birth are subject to change upon arrival, as they will depend ultimately be impacted by:
- how Mama relates to and bonds with her baby.
- How she feels emotionally in this postpartum period
- Whether she has emotional issues such as how she feels about her own body
- What impact those emotions have on decisions taken prior to giving birth
Healing after childbirth is not just a physical experience, it can often be emotional and mental. Emotions can cause a new mum to change her mind entirely and go in an entirely different direction regarding how she provides for her baby’s needs. The seemingly “easy” decision to breastfeed can be fraught with unimaginable difficulties even for the most competent of new mums. With so many things needing to be weighed up a new mum can become sensitive and triggered more easily.
Hormones and trauma may still be raging in her memory, her birth experience may not have gone as planned or she may simply be trying to come to terms with her new baby “gift” who may be extremely well behaved and still not be able to come to terms with how she is feeling about being a new mum and dealing with all the issues that were “never fully explained” at the antenatal sessions because, irrespective of whether she has chosen a c-section or a natural birth, recovery from bruising, cuts, tears and stitches is a real thing, it can be painful, her body may repair more slowly than anticipated. She might feign a smile for her baby and visitors but underneath it is a woman in pain. While she may be happy, she is nonetheless in pain.
With all these underlying things happening, it is a pre-requisite for all those around her to show love, support and understanding. It’s important to give your mama hugs that are practical, natural, nurturing, healing and ideally organic. Presenting her with a new mum gift that delivers relief and support in postpartum is nothing short of a godsend.
By combining the practical with the healing and beautiful Primrose + Ginger have curated one of the best and most thoughtful postpartum gifts they could find for a new mum. These gifts contain nurturing, calming and healing ingredients such as pregnancy-safe herbals like camomile, calendula, lavender, clary sage, aloe vera, and more which are known for their natural recovery and pain relief benefits. They contain gifts that also relate to specifically to baby’s needs and to mum. The aim being to lift her to a place where she feels good about herself and within herself because at Primrose + Ginger it matters.
Beautifully presented postpartum gifts make a real difference and a gift such as the award-winning Fire Joy simply makes postpartum life more joyous. It is a new mum gift that leaves her feeling loved, understood, and above all supported by those who care for her and wish her well not just her baby.
Fire Joy, curated to support postpartum and perineal recovery, natural healing and self-care after giving birth.
Gifting a product that is thoughtful and uplifting makes the giver feel good too. Imagine that, a win-win for everyone.
The New Mum Gift Box, Fire Joy, contains:
1 x Amethyst Crystal to support her mind and soul.
1 x Bamboo Washable Breast Pads (8 per pack),
1 x Perineal Spray,
1 x Bamboo Eco-Friendly Facecloth,
1 x Calming Organic Atmosphere Mist,
1 x Organic Luxury Soap,
2 x Herbal Loose Leaf Organic Teas to support baby’s colic and mother’s breastfeeding,
See the Postpartum Gift Product Ingredients below:
- Perineal Spray - a delicate mist to soothe the perineum for use in both prenatal and postpartum. Aqua, Hamamelis virginiana (Witch Hazel) leaf extract, Glycerine, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Lavandula angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Geraniol, Linalool, Limon
- Calming Organic Atmosphere Mist – can be used in hospital or birth environment. Lavender, Mandarin and Sandalwood Organic Atmosphere Mist Blended with Only Essential Oils
- Herbal Postpartum Soak - soak blended with herbs to heal the perineum and relieve soreness. Herbs include Yarrow Leaf, Rosemary, Plantain Leaf, Comfrey Leaf, Witch Hazel, Calendula Flowers, Chamomile Flowers and Lavender Flowers.
- Herbal Loose-Leaf Tea - Mama's Milk - tea supports breastfeeding. Supports lactation & a health milk supply. Rich in vitamins and minerals. Soothes baby's digestion to help prevent colic. Includes Fenugreek seed, Fennel seed, Raspberry leaf, Blessed Thistle,Nettle leaf, Chamomile flower, Alfalfa leaf. Certified organic
- Herbal Loose-Leaf Tea - Mama Bloom - eases nausea, anxiety and digestion. Safe to drink all pregnancy. Relieves anxiety and digestive complaints. It contains Chamomile Flower, Lemon Balm, Peppermint Leaf, Lavender Buds, Ginger Root. Certified organic or wild. No caffeine, no added flavours
- Organic Luxury Soap - gorgeously scented, this soap is made from Sodium Olivate Sodium Cocoate Aqua (Water) Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter Sodium Castorate Sodium Sunflower Seed Amphoacetate Sodium Cocoa Butterate (saponified cocoa butter) Citral, Eugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Bamboo Silk